Tuesday, April 5, 2011

National Poetry Month/Color Poems


Mary O'Neill's color poems were among my favorites in The Random House Book of Poetry that I used to read to my kids. They led me to the complete collection on her book, Hailstones and Halibut Bones, which in turn inspired me to make an accordion book of color poems.

The first was made with torn colored tissue. The second book was made after my conversion to recycled materials. I used a piece of copy paper with writing on one side folded in half with the writing on the inside for the pages and cereal boxes for the covers. The colored papers came from the collage box. When I was in conversation with a museum about using recycled materials for a family workshop, they questioned if the books would be of an appropriate quality for their audience. I made this sample to show that they would indeed be charming and beautiful.

Red is a ruby
Set in a ring.
Red is the color
That makes my heart sing.

Green are the leaves
Sprouting in the spring,
Green is the color
Of a luna moth's wing.

Orange is a pumpkin,
Orange is a cat,
Sleeping in the sun
On an orange mat.

Purple is a grape,
One of a bunch,
Purple is the jelly
In the sandwich
I ate for lunch.


4 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Oh my goodness! I love this! I will be linking to this sometime soon in a poetry related post.

Irēna said...

very nice!!!

Nadene said...

Simple, beautiful and inspirational! I've linked your post to mine at Practical Pages

Unknown said...

This is really beautiful. I love the colors, its really just simple enough but... I don't know. Perfect.

Tracy